Don Bosco Network is monitoring emergency flood situation in India. INM Madras province is mainly affected. Thanks to quick reaction of Fr George from Bosco Net, we have detailed information on the damage to the Salesian Communities and SDB relief activities.Chennai city has been experiencing incessant rainfalls last month. The lakes and rivers were are all inundated and now with day before yesterday’s heavy downpour up to 62 cms on a single day, they are all overflowing. These resulted in serious damage to the roads and residents areas causing floods, thus disrupting the functions of normal life. Airports have been shut, buses and trains have been stopped and next departure have been postponed indefinitely. Many people have lost their belongings and are not able to cook their daily food, more than 260 have died.
The houses affected quite badly are :
1. Anat Farm for Released Prisoners & Migrants youth – Mathur, Chennai
2. DBRITE Tech School and Primary School – Cuddalore
3. Anbu Illam – Shelter home for Street children – MKB Nagar, Chennai
4. Beatitudes Centre, Youth Centre & Parish – Vyasarpadi , Chennai
5. St. Joseph’s Technical School, Youth Centre & Parish – Basin Bridge, Chennai
6. R. C. High School – Madurantakam, Chingelpet
7. St. Joseph’s Church & Hr. Sec School – Pavunjur, Chingelpet
8. Mary Help of Christians Church – Thirukazhukundram, Chingelpet
The Salesians started first flood relief operations began as soon as they realized the gravity of the devastation on the morning of 3rd December. The first phase support included food, candle and clothes distribution.